I tried the colours on print paper but wondered if they would look different if I tried them on watercolour paper. They don’t look different.
In preparation to paint them.
These were a little tricky because the grapes weren’t uniform in colour. I thought alazaring crimson and burnt umber was a good match for the grapes, and sap green and ultrmarine for the stems, wih a touch of white.
This time I pre-mixed the colours and tried to just do one wash. Also, I used a smaller brush on the leaves and stalk. I don’t know if it’s much better than the previous one, the tomato on the left has the wrong tones. I didn’t want to go over it again like I did in the last painting. I just didn’t make the dark dark enough, or cover enough of the tomato.
I thought leaving the highlight white might give it more sense of depth but I don’t think it does. It’s a little too light.
This was a disaster. It was the old problem with tone. I need to pre-mix the colours because it’s hard to get the tones right when mixing on paper, one colour over another. I think I got the difference in colour between the two tomatoes quite well (one was more yellow than the other), but I used a brush that was too big a sploshed all over the place on the stems.
I had to go over an over the paint to establish the tones, which I didn’t get right the first time.
Sketch fo a painting of tomatoes. Also a bit more practice with ellipses.
I was daydreaming when I did the first sheet and didn’t write the colours down so I had to do another sheet. I concluded the tomatoes could be Alazarin crimson, vermillion and yellow ochre, whilst the stalks could be ultramarine, sap green and cadmium yellow.
Still trying to nail this battery shape at different angles. I feel much more confident now.
I didn’t feel that I understtod the ovals in the battery drawing so I did a few more abstract studies to see what happens to ovals when they change angles. Eventually it struck me that they change width and the axis changes.